6.25.2012

The Picnic Game: Baked Beans


Did you ever play the picnic game as a child? Well, Louise at Months of Edible Celebrations is hosting a virtual Picnic. In order to participate in the Picnic Game, each blogger chooses a letter and brings a dish that begins with that letter.  Join in the fun!

I'm going on a picnic and I'm bringing.....

A: 
Artichokes Steamed and Dressed with Mayonnaise from Mae at Mae's Food Blog


And my letter is B: Baked Beans
 

Be sure to visit Louise next weekend for all the other letters and their matching dishes!


Ah yes...I remember when I used to spend two days making perfect baked beans. And every once in a while I still make them from scratch. But my mother, because we did a lot of picnicking on the boat, knew tons of shortcuts for picnic foods. These baked beans are a perfect example.
The ingredients were never written down, but I've been making it forever so did some guesswork for this post. Just eyeball it and if you need or want more of anything, add it. Obviously, we love bacon. We never cared for soupy baked beans either; you'll find these just right: they won't leak sauce into all the other items on your plate. 

Mother's Speedy Baked Beans




Ingredients:
2   28 ounce cans Baked Beans
(I used original pork and beans; nothing fancy)
1/2  pound  bacon, diced, raw, diced
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup light brown sugar

Method:
Drain both cans of beans slightly; just the juices on top is enough. (The brand I used to use is not available at my market anymore. I didn't have to drain those.) Pour 1 can of beans into a casserole. Sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon dry mustard, then about 1/4 cup light brown sugar. Pour in the other can of beans and cover with 1/2 cup ketchup and the raw diced bacon. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 oven for an hour or until bacon is crisp and the beans bubbly.




34 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun picnic. Baked beans in an hour? Fabulous.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very similar to my mother's baked beans and nothing could be better! I haven't made them in years but will soon. Thanks for the delicious reminder!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrumptious! Great picnic food.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, you got in at the top of the alphabet! I would say that despite all my years of food adventures, baked beans remain one of my all-time favorite dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could we possibly have a picnic without some "Speedy Baked Beans."

    They look delicious, Barbara and I can't wait to "taste" them!

    Thank you so much for toting them to the Picnic!!! We are going to have another GRAND picnic this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a delicious dish that I will try to make using fresh beans, as I would have to avoid the canned beans, ~ I do the most possible to avoid the heavy metals from the aluminum cans In fact, Sidewalk Shoes just posted a recipe for freezing beans, which is going to be my new thing. I bet would compliment your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's very, VERY close to the Knight's "quick" recipe, which he got from watching his mom. It's great in a hurry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so satisfying and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your recipe really makes a lot of sense and it looks fabulous!!!! I hear KEEPER

    ReplyDelete
  10. those baked beans look super yummy! mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, Barbara...your beans look amazing. I like mine more thick and sticky than soupy so that they don't run, as well. These are perfection. Glad I'll be at the picnic so I can scoop an extra large helping! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Baked beans for a summer picnic sounds perfect! They do look just right. Just enough sauce but not soupy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am happy, we will have baked beans. I have to finish making mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved baked beans, but Ben's always whining they're mushy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I'm stopping over from The Picnic Game. I love baked beans, they sure are a comfort food to me. These looks good, would be perfect to serve with anything! Great for a picnic too! Thank you for sharing! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need, I want this NOW =D Gosh, how a simple pot of yummy can stir excitement!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've loved seeing what everyone's posted for the picnic game! These baked beans sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am absolutely loving the picnic game posts I have seen so far :D
    Yours is so delicious!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cool idea! I'd probably end up bringing Mama's notorious orange potato salad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the way you "dressed up" the baked bean in can...it sure looks perfect for a picnic...I would love to try this...and soon :)
    Thanks for the recipe and hope you are having a fabulous week Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do baked beans the same way and my husband loves them. It' usually what he wants for his birthday dinner - with meatloaf. :) g

    ReplyDelete
  22. hello, bacon. baked beans are worthless without bacon or pork of some kind, and i'm not kidding about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Barbara, Your Baked Beans look wonderful and are perfect to bring to the picnic! I will have to give these a try…I haven’t had baked beans in such a long time and my husband would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are similar to my Grandma's recipe! Delicious and perfect picnic food!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cooking baked beans in an hour! That's really speedy and you must be on time for this wonderful "picnic" :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. What fun....bake beans are one of my favourites. xoxo Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  27. OOOO these look sooooo good - now you have motivated me to find my mom's from scratch recipe as it is just that kind of cold blustery summer day - and I loved them. Haven't had them for years and years...
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a delicious dish to put in the picnic basket. It certainly make picnic more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those beans look delicious!
    What a fun game,Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Barbara, came across your blog from the wonderful Picnic Game. And how I love your baked beans! I could eat a whole bowl of it myself. Save some for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. A great picnic classic--done up a bit fancier (love your casserole!) And now my kids will have something to eat for sure ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Normally I'm pretty "meh" about baked beans that people bring to a picnic, because they're just dull. But these? I'm wishing this was a REAL picnic! Especially that bacon on top...

    I'd better finish this comment before I start drooling all over your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. A scrumptious looking casserole o baked beans. Love the color. Nice meeting you at this year's picnic.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails